Liberal Democrats have a plan to ensure local people have the homes they need.
For too long high rents and high house prices have priced people out of the chance of a decent home.
Nationally Liberal Democrats would:
- Introduce a 'Help to Rent' scheme so young people don't have to rely on the 'Bank of Mum and Dad' to find a rental deposit.
- Introduce a 'Rent to Own' scheme so people could earn a stake in their property over time while renting.
- Build 300,000 homes a year to fix the housing shortage and bring down the cost of homes.
- Reform the Bedroom Tax so only those who refuse alternative housing would have to pay.
Locally the Liberal Democrats would:
- Encourage the building of more student halls to return family homes to the community.
- Introduce Landlord Licencing to crack down on bad landlords and protect tenants, neighbours and good landlords.
- Make sure developers deliver a proper contribution of affordable homes, and give communities greater control of developer contributions.
- Build more council homes and improve existing housing.