Winchester District Liberal Democrats are looking for a new Campaign Organiser who can help us win the Winchester Parliamentary Constituency at the next General Election and keep control of Winchester City Council in 2020.
Job Title: Campaign Organiser, Winchester District Liberal Democrats
Reports to: Local Party Chair (currently Lynda Murphy)
Salary: £20,000-25,000 per annum
Tenure: Full time
Hours: 37.5 hours per week (average) – longer hours during election campaigns and time in lieu after the campaign – we would consider a job share if appropriate
Location: 9 City Business centre, Hyde Street, Winchester. SO23 7TA
Closing date: 16 August; interviews in Winchester on 23 August.
This is an amazing opportunity to join one of the Liberal Democrat’s key target seats. Winchester District Liberal Democrats are looking to recruit a new Campaign Organiser in our central Winchester office to help us build on our fabulous local and European election results this year and to support our amazing PPC, Paula Ferguson, to become Winchester’s next MP.
Having recently gained control of Winchester City Council in May 2019 and winning over 40% of the vote in the Euros, there has never been a more exciting time to join Winchester District Liberal Democrats.
The first thing we did after gaining control of the City Council was to declare a climate emergency and that is now at the heart of everything we do. We are being bold in our plans to make Winchester District a vibrant, healthy place to live while ensuring that we have the homes people need and that business can thrive. All the while working on the target of making Winchester City Council carbon neutral by 2024 and the whole district by 2030! It is also very important to us that we consolidate and build on our majority next year.
Winchester District Liberal Democrats covers two constituencies: Winchester, which we will all very hard on to make sure Paula wins at the next general election; and Meon Valley which we will need to build and nurture. This is a job where you will really be able to make a difference. It will require ambition, dedication and initiative.
If you are a friendly, committed and organised person interested in managing the activities of a local political party and a large team of volunteers then please apply to join us.
The ability to prioritise workload is essential. Our organiser will also be expected to establish good working relationships with a range of councillors, candidates and volunteers, as well as offering basic training and enabling good communications between the constituencies and the district. The role offers flexible working hours and conditions – although it requires some evening and weekend work particularly during campaign periods.
Winchester is a thriving historical city on the doorstep of the South Downs National Park. It has consistently appeared in ‘Best place to live’ lists due to the high standard of living, education, cultural heritage and high employment rate. To the south of Winchester, the district stretches from West Meon in the east to Whiteley in the west. The southernmost wards, Southwick & Wickham and Denmead, border Havant, Portsmouth and Fareham. To the east, it encompasses the market town of Alresford and to the north and east covers a largely rural area. Winchester constituency reaches into Eastleigh Borough Council incorporating the areas of Chandler’s Ford and Hiltingbury, so working closely with the Eastleigh local party will be very important.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Leading production of creative and effective digital and printed communication to deliver our agreed literature plan.
- Coordinating the work of local volunteers - ensuring we have an active and energised team of members and supporters strong enough to achieve our electoral objectives
- Managing the Winchester office.
- Collaborating effectively with the local party – and other partners supporting the local party’s campaigns, such as ALDC, National Campaigns Department and the Eastleigh local party.
- Supporting the management of the local party’s electoral and membership data
- Monitoring and responding to contacts via the office and the website.
We're looking for someone:
- who is goal oriented: Setting and achieving ambitious goals.
- who is collaborative: Able to maintain productive relationships with PPC, Local Party Chair, Councillors, Campaign Team, Local Party Executive, National Campaigns Department and Eastleigh Local Party.
- who is motivating: Strong ability to achieve results via other people. Someone who motivates and energises volunteers
- who is organised: Able to handle a large and varied workload. Someone who can set clear practical priorities for themselves and others
- who takes the initiative: Creatively identifies opportunities to deliver objectives
- who shares our values: Sympathise with aims and objectives of the Lib Dems
- Campaigning: Practical experience of delivering political change and/or winning elections via effective campaigning.
- Desktop & Digital Publishing and Design: Production of strong literature via DTP – including, preferably, PagePlus
- Computers: Confidence with word-processing and spreadsheets. Knowledge of databases preferred.
- Basic print operation: Ability to operate laser printers and other office machinery (e.g. envelope stuffing machines) preferred.
- Financial management: Basic budget management
Having a full driving licence and access to a car is desirable. There is a car parking space available but we would, of course, encourage you to use a rather more sustainable form of transport if possible.
How to apply
To apply please send a covering letter and your CV to Lynda Murphy to [email protected] with the subject ‘Campaign Organiser’.
Deadline for applications: 10pm on Friday 16th August. Interviews to take place in our Winchester office on Friday 23rd August 2019.
Applicants are encouraged to inform us if any reasonable adjustments are needed to be made during any part of the recruitment process. We will notify all applicants when the process is complete.
Please note: We will not be able to employ you if you are not eligible to work in the UK. We will not be able to obtain a work permit on your behalf.
The Liberal Democrats are equal opportunity employers and particularly welcome applications from groups who are currently under-represented.